Summer is on the horizon, and Coronavirus restrictions are easing, so let’s start getting back to normal & hit the sun loungers once more! Many of our favourite European destinations have fully reopened for holidaymakers and are excited to welcome UK travellers back! Question is: what are the current rules when travelling and how do you stand when it comes to travel insurance?
Vaccinations, masks & testing
With so many COVID travel restrictions being relaxed and removed, here’s a quick run-through of what you need to know when visiting some of the most popular European destinations for UK travellers. Of course, things are always changing, so we urge you to double check with the UK Foreign office for the latest information.
- Most European countries are asking for proof of vaccination status or a negative test result and masks in medical settings (hospitals, pharmacies and clinics, etc.) and on public transport.
- Unvaccinated people will need to prove their negative COVID status (most places are asking for PCR tests, although some accept rapid antigen tests), but if you’ve had all your vaccines then there’s no need to test or self isolate.
Greece & the Greek Islands
- Greece & the Greek Islands do not require proof of vaccination status or a COVID test before travelling, but you will need a mask in some areas and on public transport.
Spain, the Canary Islands, the Balearics, Turkey & Portugal
- These places all require proof of your vaccination status or a negative PCR test for unvaccinated travellers, and masks in hospitals, pharmacies and on public transport. Most airlines are also asking passengers to wear masks if they can whilst on board, so make sure to pack a few!
- France requires proof of vaccination status or a negative PCR test, but is a little stricter with their mask mandate and will fine you for not wearing one when required unless you are exempt, so be careful not to get caught out!
Things are opening up again and travel is encouraged – just remember to pack the sunscreen!
COVID travel advice is subject to change; please always check with the UK Foreign Office for further foreign travel advice and the latest up-to-date information. Covid rules vary by destination, if your destination is not listed above, check UK Foreign Office for details, or the handy travel restrictions map from KAYAK.
COVID Cover with NOW Travel
While we’re all trying to get back to the pre-pandemic way of life, it’s hard to forget COVID completely. If you’ve got a trip booked and wonder what your travel insurance covers then look no further…
- You’ll be pleased to know that cancellation due to COVID is available with NOW’s Essential, Classic and Premier cover.
- NOW’s travel policies also include emergency medical cover due to COVID while you’re away, in addition to hotel/ flight arrangements if you need to extend your stay and isolate.
- NOW’s Essential, Classic and Premier policies all include cover if you fall ill with COVID while away and need to cut your trip short and return to the UK.
- Under NOW’s Premier policy you’ll also be covered if your airline or travel provider goes into administration due to the pandemic.
If you require emergency assistance whilst away, our friendly team is available to help you, 24/7, on +44 (0) 203 819 7170
Coronavirus cover is subject to sufficient vaccination status or proof of medical exemption. Check your insurance details and our Coronavirus cover page for further information on what your policy covers.
Travel Advice Disclaimer:
COVID travel advice contained within this article is provided by the UK Foreign Office and is correct at time of publishing. COVID travel advice is subject to change; please always check with the UK Foreign Office for the latest up-to-date information.