Blog Category Family Travel, Travel Resources, Travel Tips June 9, 2022 By

Passports: Everything you Need to Know this Summer

Caucasian person's hand holding a blue British Passport.

Passports are so important, but if you don’t have one or yours is about to expire,  they can be such a pain!

We’re saving you the headache this summer, breaking down all you need to know about the application process, getting passports for your baby or child, renewals and more. Keep checking back for regular updates as we’re always adding new content to keep you in the know.

How long do I need left on my passport to travel?

Entry requirements vary between countries, but generally for countries within the EU you will need at least 3 months left on it when you travel.

Non EU country entry requirements vary even further, with countries like China and Thailand requiring at least 6 months left on your passport, whilst others like the USA, Canada and Australia only ask that your passport is valid for the duration of your stay.

You can check the entry requirements for other countries and if your passport will be valid for your trip on Foreign Travel Advice

It’s not recommended to book anything until you have your new passport, but if you do, make sure not to book anything with your old passport number as your new one will be different!

Applying for a new passport

If your passport expires before or during your trip, you will need to renew it. There are several ways to do this, either online or in person.

If you urgently require a new passport you can use the online premium service or the 1 week fast track.

If your passport application is non-urgent, you can apply by post at your local post office, use the Post Office Check & Send Service, or apply online.

Further details about urgent and non-urgent passport renewals, including costs and application processes, are available at

Information about applying for baby passports can be found on our blog and on

What to do if you lose your passport abroad

If you lose your passport abroad or your passport gets stolen, you will need to get an emergency travel document. It costs £100 to apply and you may need to visit the nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate after applying online.

At NOW Travel, we will cover you if your passport is lost or stolen, providing that adequate precautions were taken, the incident is reported to the relevant authorities (the consular representative of your home country) within 24 hours of discovering it, and you obtain the necessary documentation as outlined in your policy. For further details of our cover and what your plan involves, check your policy documents.

Leave a Reply